Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sometimes we just need that push

I would never consider myself as bold or a risk taker, especially when there are too many uncertainties to consider. I'm one of those wouldn't-mind-having-a-set-plan-in-place types. This is actually what made it extremely difficult for me to immediately jump in and go after this opportunity to study and intern abroad. Yes, I hesitated, despite the facts.

The Facts:
  1. I'm loving my studies in health communication
  2. I want to work with a health organization that genuinely cares for their patients
  3. I'm interested in the role relationships play in patient care
  4. I have a great desire to help others 
  5. I'm more than open to international travel opportunities
  6. I've always been interested in human rights issues

    ... And the list could go on, really.
My point is that, Little did I know, this would be an interesting season of change and challenges for me.

That's my Uncle Erol surrounded by just a 
few of his "big" nieces.
After I learned about this opportunity, I shared my interest in going after this with some people. I received a lot of discouragement at first, but shortly after, I received a lot of encouragement in big and random ways. My Uncle Erol and Auntie Heather were one example. They came up from Jamaica for a family event, and heard a bit about my interest from another one of my uncles. They pretty much told me to go after it and see what happens, but they said it in a way where you could tell they were confident that I was going. Before I even wrote my proposal to my school about this potential experience and received the academic approval, they generously gave a gift toward my trip. They became my first financial supporters.

How sweet of them.

This was definitely something, I thought. My Uncle and Aunt serve in Jamaica and travel a lot because they are committed to making a difference and changing lives. They are seasoned workers who are well-respected and loved. Their faith is great, and I, as well as many others, really admire it.

After they encouraged me, I felt like they believed in me more than I believed in myself. In fact, their heartfelt, encouraging words and their generous gift gave me a little more direction on my thinking of whether or not I was supposed to go after this experience.  

It was just the push I needed.

And I was glad I got to see them before they left to head back home. I said my goodbyes to them, and ran out of the house to catch my long train ride to the city for night class. It was then that I spent some time reflecting on how everything came to be and, specifically, Uncle Erol and Auntie Heather's words.

My thinking changed from "this is very unlikely" to "I'm hopeful this is possible," and that's when I began a part of my journey to Iraq.

First stop: writing the proposal

No comments:

Post a Comment