Wednesday, October 30, 2013

So scandalous these days. Pray for me.


I don’t know where to begin, really.

My alarm went off at 4 a.m. I’ve been waking up early to get some hw out of the way before I head to work. My plan was a success. I had a very productive morning, as I managed to eat breakfast and begin my workday just fine. Even when I got to work, I was able to find some key parts of my research. It was, overall, a productive morning. Despite feeling really tired and overwhelmed in some ways, I was happy that it looked like it was going to be a good day.

When 12 p.m. rolled around, my friend invited me out to lunch. There’s a great Kurdish restaurant down the street from the office, and we were craving one of our favorite meals. When he was ready to go, I saved my work, put on my shoes, and headed out the door to the restaurant. The restaurant has two sections: a family section and a man(?) section. I don’t really know how to describe the other side. I’ve only seen men sitting over there. It’s loud, and … just for men, I guess, so we sat on the family side and ordered our meal.

We get the same thing every time. I think it’s called “Sada.” For this meal, you’re served a bowl of rice with raisins sprinkled on it, and there are multiple other bowls filled with vegetable toppings in the middle of the table. It’s pretty good stuff, and we enjoyed it. During the meal, we were stared at, and, lately, our reaction to the stares has been to figure out which one of us is doing something wrong. We can normally figure it out, but this time, however, I couldn’t think of anything, which is a good thing because it normally means we’re being stared at because we’re foreigners. However, we later learned that we thought wrong.

After our meal, we asked for tea, and went to the front of the restaurant to pay. I handed my friend $10,000 dinar, so he could pay. We waited for a while for change, and I again felt the eyes on us. I rubbed my head and did motions that covered my face, so that people would stop staring at me, and then I nervously fixed my ponytail. As I adjusted my hair, I looked down, and figured out what the big deal was…

It was me (being culturally inappropriate, again). The left side of my dress was not zipped.

Great, I thought. Way to keep it classy, Yvette.


I tend to layer my clothes a lot around here, and I normally am extra careful with how I dress, but to forget to zipper? Really? It didn’t make sense, especially since I had such a productive morning. And out of everything I could have forgotten … this was it? Well, that’s not even fair.

“Inapprop,” at it’s finest (in this culture). 

Yes. I had spent half the day with my dress half-unzipped. I walked to work like this, and to the restaurant like this. Luckily, I was wearing a tank top and pants under it, and you really couldn’t see anything, but in this culture, that doesn’t really matter because what was seen was my dress unzipped. Awesome.

When we left, as most of you can imagine, I panicked a bit. I felt so embarrassed. But not too long after, I couldn’t help but laugh. What on earth? This was such a random thing to happen, and of all the places … in one of the most culturally conservative countries.

That’s.just.wonderful.

I felt so scandalous, and couldn’t help but laugh on the walk back to work, which is also not completely appropriate, especially if you're walking with someone of the opposite sex. It makes you look flirtatious.  

Oh, this was no longer my day. 

When I tried to stop laughing, I had a huge smile on my face, so I just covered my mouth with my hands on the way back to work. Yes, even my smiles could get me in trouble. This was a problem because I just could not turn off the smile. Being scandalous was totally not the look I was going for, and I definitely nailed it with my unzipped dress and my smiling face. 

When we returned to the office, we told a colleague the story. He shook his head and laughed with us. I still felt awful, as it was an honest mistake, but at this point, there was nothing I could do.

In my colleague’s words, “In the States, that’s nothing, but here … You just flashed half of this city.”

Fabulous. Pray for me <3

No comments:

Post a Comment